Sunday, September 4, 2011

DIY Jewelry Display made with wood and dowel rods for necklaces bracelets or rings

I saw a picture a while back of a similar display where she had rings hanging from a dowel rod. I can't find that picture to give credit for the idea, so if you have seen it before let me know!
I have made three of these so far, they're all different, and I intend to make at least one more of these small ones, I have more bracelets that need to be hung.
These are my step by step instructions on how I made this display.

These are the materials I started with. I purchased all of them at JoAnn Fabrics and Crafts at an excellent price. I saw similar beveled boards and dowels at Wal-Mart as well in their craft department.
I am on a teal kick this season, so I painted the wood teal, and added some antique white to give it some character. It's hard to see here, but I measured and drilled two small holes with my Dremmel tool where I want my hooks to be. I selected a piece of scrapbooking paper that I had in my stash with a pretty script and floral pattern on it.

I cut the scrapbooking paper to the same size as the top edge of the wooden board, inside the beveled edges. Before I glued it down, I lined the paper up where it would be glued and poked two small holes in it with a pin where I drilled the holes in the wood. Just so I know where to put the hooks through the paper.

Once the paper was glued down, I screwed the hooks into the small holes I had drilled. I got these little hooks at Wal-Mart, they're a pretty brass with a floral motif on them. I'm sure you can get fancy hooks at other places, like Home Depot or Hobby Lobby.

All that's left is to insert the dowel rod and set it on a decorative plate stand or picture frame stand. For all my displays, I painted the dowel rod antique white, though that hasn't been done yet to the bracelet display in the photos.

This necklace display was done with the same technique, except I used a decorative painted board that I found at Goodwill. Really, I'm there almost every day. Can you tell?

I'd like to find some similar scrapbooking paper to the painting, and make some matching bracelet displays. This one is going to be hung on my bedroom wall for my personal jewelry.




Hope you find my jewelry display idea useful!

2 comments:

Stela said...

Great idea!!

Anonymous said...

I love this!